Some things I've learned while painting our cabinets ...
1 - It's not as easy (or as quick) as they make it seem on those home improvement shows.
2 - I suck at painting the cabint doors. Really. There are a few drips that will show. Gah.
3 - If you're painting outside, make sure you're in the breeze and have plenty of shelter. While the painters on those shows look all happy and cheerful painting in the sun, the reality is very different. Picture if you will - gloppy paint. Yes. The paint in the pan gets gloppy and chunky, like soup, causing you to throw it out and pour more. Do yourself a favor - paint inside.
4 - Get more brushes and roller pads than you think you'll ever need. You'll need them.
5 - Forget breezy. If it's breezy, things fly / get blown onto your newly painted surface. This means you have to either a) quickly get it off there or b) paint over it since it's now glued in place. Ok ya know what? Forget outside. Don't paint outside.
6 - Get some help. I was at Home Depot by 8:30 this morning and painting by 9:30 / 10 am. It's now 4:32 and I'm pooped. And I still have 6 full-sized and 2 smaller cabinet doors to prime and paint. I feel like I'm. never. going. to. get. done.
7 - Putting cabinet doors back on by yourself is a lot harder than taking them down.
Ok ... here's what I have so far. You can't really see the new color of the cabinets all that clearly (although that orange sure as hell stands out!). They're almost a light light chocolate. And I haven't repainted the walls yet, so ignore their icky mess. I still have the lower cabinets and drawers to prime and paint, too. I petered out around 5pm. Now I'm looking forward to dinner and a shower.
4 comments:
This is funny as shit. I can so picture you painting and getting all pissed off. BAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Tiff
smartass lol
Oh, kiddo, I know I'm not supposed to laugh at this post, but I couldn't help myself. I'm so sorry you are in home-improvement hell. But at least you make it entertaining for your audience. For that, I thank you!
I love this post and the video!
I hate painting.
Post a Comment