Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Battered but not broken ...

Although we have lost many Basement Battles, we are slowly winning the war.

The fleas are no match for our triple threat.

First - the apple vinegar is working. Now I'm not sure if they're jumping into it for yummy goodness or if they're jumping and the plates just happen to be next to them. And I don't care. All I know is that a number of them are ending up swimming with the fishies. Or something.

Second - I don't know if the borax sprinkle is working or not, but I do know that it's making it easier to see them and thus suck them up with the vacuum cleaner. If it is killing them, bonus.

Third - I'm vacuuming down there every other day. Everything I've read says that the heat and vibration of a vacuum cleaner tricks the fleas still in their cocoons into thinking a food source is nearby and breaking out. So it's good to vacuum at least every other day when battling the fleas. The vacuum will encourage them to hatch from the cocoons and then you suck them up the next time you run the machine. You also get the added bonus of sucking up any eggs and larvae that may be laying about as well. And, of course, the pre-adults and adults.

Two days ago, I was mauled. Absolutely attacked when I went down there to start this process.

This evening, I was just mugged.

Big difference.

I strongly feel that our current offensive is working.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

This is fantastic news! Is it rude for me to chant "DIE FLEAS, DIE!!"? :)