Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Charming, I'm sure ...

I put together a few more charm sets yesterday and last night and my left thumb pad is a bit swollen and pretty painful from where I have to bend the wire to make a hook. I use a tool to grip the wire, but I have to press the other side against my thumb to actually bend it. I'm going to have to find a way to cover that pad.

(see edit below for pictures)

One of the sets I bought is a trip around the world theme. It had 10 charms, but the loop on one of them wasn't complete so I had to leave it out. Which left me with the odd number of 9 charms for that set. No one would know there were originally 10, of course, but it still bugs me.

I happened to grab some shells during one of my trips, but they don't have any loops at all. My ass was handed to me by them last night while I tried to figure out a way to make them work. I'm not giving up just yet, though.


I'm still up and down about the pricing. Most sets are 4 or 6, with some 10's thrown in. I was thinking about $2 per charm - so a set of 4 would be $8.

But then I have to take the cost of materials into account - the type of bead used (crystal, glass, wood, plastic, etc ...) and the quality of the charm (sterling silver, pewter, enamel, etc ...). The different types are priced differently - crystals are far more expensive than plastic and pewter is cheaper than sterling silver.

So I think my initial pricing thought can work for the low cost materials - plastic and pewter will be $2 per charm ($8 per set of 4, for example) and then raise the price accordingly for the more expensive materials or specialty items.

Ally asked that I let her know when I'm taking orders (can't wait to see her new hair cut!).

The answer is - anytime you want to place an order, please do! Just shoot me an e-mail at the one listed on my profile with the following info:

Theme
Color preference (if any - I suggest giving a few options)
Bead preference (if any - glass, plastic, wood, crystal)
Charm preference (if any - sterling silver, pewter, enamel)
The number you want - 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12.

Things to keep in mind:

* If I don't have the materials on hand and I can't find them locally, I'll need to order them. My experience so far is that it takes 3 - 5 days to receive the charms after the order's placed, so it may take up to 2 weeks before you actually receive your order.

* The idea of the charms is to be able to use them to identify your specific wine glass (or goblet as the hoops I use are large enough for either), but not all themes are available in larger groups. I may need to repeat the actual charm but change up the color of the beads to make it a noticeable difference.

Once I have your order, I can give you a price.

As far as payment goes, I just ask that you use the link on the upper right side of my blog and make a donation through paypal for whatever the cost is. The goal of these charms is to 'sell' them to raise money for our adoption plans. It'll be much easier on everyone (especially me hah) if I can have people just go that route. That way there's no worries about checks or whatever.

Once my new web site is done, I'm hoping to be able to find a way to post them for sale and just have the payments made that way. I'm still thinking on how to do that.

Edit:

My camera won't focus, so I took these with my phone. The pictures aren't great quality, but .. eh .. they'll do for this purpose ...



No comments: