I'm sure I've mentioned it in passing, but we have several cats.
All but 1 are at least 10 - 13 years old. Old cats.
One of them died yesterday.
Now, Mackie wasn't technically ours. But he's been in the family for 13 years, rescued as a kitten, and he's been with us since we moved as my mom couldn't take him back. And even though I recognize that he was old, it was still upsetting.
I cried.
Patrick, who wouldn't mind using a cat-a-vault to get rid of them all, was really great about it. He came home early, dug a hole, and buried him. He even offered to skip bowling if I wanted to stay home and just be sad.
But we went bowling. I didn't want to stay home and be sad. It's sad to look at the mound of dirt with a rock on it, but it doesn't do good to stay home and wallow. Plus, he wasn't really mine.
Let one of mine go, one of the ones I've had since they were kittens, and then I'm sure I'll stay home and be sad.
So bowl we did. And I subbed on the team playing against Patrick's. Bahahaha We only won one game, but it was a lot of fun.
In other news ...
I e-mailed the agency and told the woman I do want the number to their home study consultant. I said, though, that I'm between jobs and, since I know finances are looked at, I'd wait until I was fully employed again to call.
She replied with the woman's name and number and said to call - that it's a lengthy process and they realize situations change - my being currently unemployed wouldn't disqualify us.
This is me with a deer in the headlights stare. Because, really, that's ... gah.
But I'm not ready to call yet.
Not yet.
While looking up ways to save money for adoption, I came across a couple of good ideas:
-- Figure out what the average weekly cost is for diapers and formula and take that money out of your paycheck and set it aside. Not only will this save money, but it'll give us an idea of the bare necesseties for weekly feeding and changing of a baby.
-- Hold a 'donation sale'. Have a garage sale, but don't price anything. Instead, let people know that everything is, technically, free but that you only ask that they make a donation. I'm sure some will only leave a little bit, but there's a chance that some may leave more than you'd get if you actually priced the items.
I thought these were pretty inventive ideas. Of course, I need a job to do the first and I need someone willing to hold a sale for me for the 2nd (neither of us like the idea of complete strangers coming to our house - we're strange like that).
But they're very good thoughts.
1 comment:
Sorry to hear about your cat. :(
Post a Comment