Well, the interview itself went well.
They wanted me. Hard core.
But when it became clear that the pay I was looking for wasn't they pay they could give, they tried another route.
Sales.
I can't do sales. Yes, I'm good at organizing and motivating people. I'm able to make others see problems from various angles (I know, you couldn't tell from my blog, but it's true). And I'm able to get my point across without being offensive.
But I can't sell. And it's not something I enjoy.
It boiled down to the pay being 25k a year and I'd have to pay all of my medical insurance monthly premiums for the job I was called in to interview for. And it was obvious to all of us that, no matter how much they wanted me for the position, I wasn't going to take it.
The level of disappointment I felt surprised me. I thanked them for their time and got into my car and had to resist a strong urge to cry.
This was, afterall, my first interview since becoming jobless.
And I was beyond excited. I have been having talks with God, asking him for help in bringing me the right job. I thought this might be it and I was looking forward to having a regular pay check and medical benefits again.
I felt so deflated.
I did recieve a call from another headhunting place about an executive admin position, but it's only 8 weeks. It's not a permanent position and there's no sign that it would transition into permanent.
But the pay is almost spot on and it sounds like something I could easily do. So I told them to go ahead and submit my resume.
The only glitch is that it asks for at least 5 - 7 years of executive admin experience. Which I don't have. But I do have about that many years in management and all of the rest of the criteria is easily met, so the guy made the decision to go ahead and submit my resume and see what happens.
What's odd about that is that they didn't want me to come in for the loads of testing most places want you to do - typing, computer, etc ... He didn't ask for references or anything. Just - we saw your resume and we have this assignment available. For all they know, my resume could be one big fib.
Maybe if this one works out and I do go to it, they'll see how well I work out and offer to hire me directly. If that's the case, the pay would increase (you're always paid less through an agency than you do when hired as the agency takes some off the top) and I'd have medical insurance.
But yesterday turned into a 'count your blessings' day to remind myself that this was just a minor blip and that I'm still very lucky.
Today I'm just going to wait for my unemployment check, then run to the bank and WalMart. We've had a flea oubreak in the basement that needs to be dealt with and we're out of dog food. So there are things that need to be gotten.
1 comment:
AAAHH, Fleas! We got fleas in our house last year and it was horrible. They just wouldn't die, even though we kept spraying and treating and everything. Eventually we got the population down to pretty low numbers and then I read that you can keep them from repopulating by grinding up salt in a blender, which essentially powders it and then sprinkling it everywhere and working it in with a broom.. left it for a week and that seemed to do the trick. Apparently it dehydrates the little suckers and their larvae, and the only harm is salty feet! haha. The thought of dealing with that again makes me cringe!
Post a Comment