I e-mailed a couple more times with the woman from the agency and remain seriously impressed with her responses and lack of pushing for us to use them.
A friend, though, asked about the significance of my race question. After reading my post again, I could see why it might come up.
I basically wanted to make sure they handled adoptions of various races, rather than leaning towards just one or another. Being open to adopting a baby of another race, which we are, would mean faster placement. They do. And she acknowledged that being open to adopting outside of our own race would move things along more quickly.
And even though our 3rd wedding anniversary isn't until September, we can start the home study whenever we want. Considering how long that usually takes (2 - 3 months, right?), it'd put us around that anniversary by the time it's finished.
Now to figure out the finances.
The agent did thoroughly explained how payment works, so I feel better about that as well. Not that we can make payments or anything. Just that I need facts and figures and timelines and such before I can even begin to make any sort of decision.
I won't make any move until I'm back at work, though. Our finances require both of us working and I'm not sure how my being currently unemployed would be looked at. Although I worry that I won't be at a job long enough to take leave should we adopt anytime in the next 8 - 9 months.
But, for the first time ever, I feel like we can do this. It's an odd feeling and I'm not exactly sure what to do with it. But this is the first time I've ever considered adoption and felt as though we really could do it.
So that's gotta be worth something, right?
In other news ... we're going to the zoo today. The weather's supposed to be mild and there's only a small chance for rain (which means we'll get caught in a downpour) and we both need a break from bowling.
I'm going to take the flip video and see if I can get some good shots. If I do, I'll post them in another day or two.
1 comment:
you can SO do this! don't let the home-study overwhelm you. K and i were slow to follow through with ours and it took 6 months. But just take one thing on the list at a time and CHECK... you're one step closer. good luck choosing an agency:)
Post a Comment