Sunday, April 6, 2008

Not exactly what you do when you're unemployed ...

We didn't get as early a start yesterday as I had hoped to. We did find a patio umbrella for when we get a patio set, but that was about it.

Although there was a big purchase.

We bought a king size mattress set. A Sealy euro pillow top something or other.

When we moved a couple years ago, my mom gave us her king sized Tuscany style bed frame. It's similar to this (think larger for a king size), only higher off the ground, the footboard is a bit different, and it's a lighter color.

We were initially going to sell it when we moved into our house, but it ended up being stored in our basement. In the meantime, we were fighting for space in our queen size bed. Not because of he and I, but because of the dog and at least 1 cat. A queen bed is fine for the two of us, but add a couple of animals to the mix and it gets really really crowded.

So when I knew for sure that we were going to get the bonus at work, I hatched a plan to surprise Patrick with a king size mattress set and a completely put together bed. I started searching online and guffawed at the pricing of mattresses. $1500 plus another $200 for the box springs just seemed like way too much.

I got lucky, though, and found a coupon in one of Marc's books for 15% off a new mattress at a local warehouse that was already reduced because they're scratch & dents - a bit of dirt or slight damage during shiping meant they couldn't be sold retail.

Then I was fired. And my surprise went out the window.

Then I said fuck it.

Patrick and I headed to the warehouse yesterday and I found one for $525- a king sized Sealy euro plush pillow top that was like laying on a cloud. Add $75 for the box springs and the total was $600.

With our coupon, I paid $557 after taxes. Which is pretty damned good! Another $50 at Ross and I had a set of sheets and a coordinating quilt.

Marc came over and helped us move the queen to another bedroom and set-up and put together the new one.

I had forgotten how high this bedframe is. Between the frame, the box springs, and the mattress, it comes to my boob height when I'm standing. And I'm 5'2. I literally have to climb into the thing by getting a foot on one of the wooden side rails and hoisting myself up. And I look down on the matching bedside table we had taken with it.

Now I know it wasn't that high when my mom was using it. But she had a different mattress and probably shorter box springs.

Of course now I'm going to feel the pinch of spending so much money, but it was worth it. There won't be any more crowded nights (especially since poor Biscuit couldn't even hope to climb onto it) and there's a general feeling of finally having a 'grown up' bed as opposed to a mattress set on nothing more than the metal bed frame.

Besides, I worked my ass off for that bonus and I deserve the bed.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Doesn't it feel just HEAVENLY, all that space and cloud-like feel? I love our big bed, especially since we let our pups sleep with us. Now, we actually have ROOM.

I am not sure what the return policy is on the bed. . . but you can get low-profile box springs, which take the mattress down about six inches.