Thursday, August 14, 2008

I'm ready for a nap ...

I feel like I've done a lot today, but I haven't done much at all.

I was up a bit later than normal, around 7:30 am. After having a cup of coffee, I took out the garbage (and almost trampled a baby rabbit hiding in my yard), got dressed, and headed out the door.

Although the flea battle is in the basement, I still have to keep an eye on our pets that roam the rest of the house. And after a flea jumped off Biscuit and onto my arm this morning, I decided it was time for more than just her weekly flea bath.

So I trudged to a low cost vet in Greenback (about a 40 minute drive). They have an agreement with the Frontline Plus manufacturer - they repackage the drop solution and can sell it way way cheaper. So Frontline Plus drops for 4 cats and 1 dog cost just $28.60. Well worth the 40 minute drive.

But my dad lives in that area, so I stopped for a visit. And didn't leave until around noon.

Then I got a call from Marc's boyfriend, who'd been to a therapy session with him. Apparently the rehab counselor is going to 'recommend' Marc go through their Sober Living program for 2 months.

It's basically a 1/2 way house aimed at getting him use to living in a home setting without alcohol.

To say we're all astonished and Marc is crushed would be putting it mildly. I can see them recommending continued counseling, but not going from one in-patient rehab straight into another.

Especially when he can't work his job while there.

I have no idea how they expect him to pay his regular bills PLUS $550 per month while he's there without being able to work. They said he could file for social security disability, but everyone knows that's a lengthy process and he wouldn't see any money for at least a few months. Which wouldn't do him any good.

I'm really hoping he can work something out with the guy in Nashville who's been overseeing his case with the medical board. I should know more in the next couple of days.

On the adoption front ...

I had the idea to call my RE and see if she can fill out that medical form for me. Her nurse called back and said that she doesn't know if she can as it depends on the specific questions they ask, but she'd be happy to take a look at it. If she can, then she will. If she can't, then they'll let me know.

I'm debating on taking it now or waiting until tomorrow. I may just hop in the car and take it and get it over with.

Along those lines ... It was decided long ago that Marc would be the Godfather / Guardian of our child. And of course we want to list him as a reference for the home study agent. But if he's going to be in this sober living place for 2 months, she'd have no way of contacting him. And it's not like I'm going to be all "oh yeah, the guardian guy is in rehab" because ... well ... that wouldn't do.

So that'll put a bit of a kink in that. Not sure how we'll work around it.

No comments: