Thursday, May 8, 2008

Craigslist rant ...

I've recently been in search of a decent patio set on craigslist. I had heard you could get really good deals on used items there.

And me being a cheapskate, I had to investigate.

What I've mainly found is a bunch of people who have an overblown vision of the value of their used items.

For example:

* Used couch for $275.
* Patio furniture - table & two chairs - $300.
* Walmart style computer desk - $200.
* Oak dining room table (you know, the kind just about everyone has), sometimes with and sometimes without chairs - starting price range is about $400.
* Couch and matching ottoman - $500.
* Dining table and chairs - $750.
* Executive desk - $1,200.

Etc ... etc ...

There are some deals to be had, that is true. If you're in the market for a full bedroom suite of a specific style, you may be able to get one for about $500. There are also some listings for couches and recliners as low as $50. So there are deals to be had.

However, comma (I add a verbal comma when I really have a point to make), most of the stuff is seriously overpriced.

Some will tell you how much they paid for the item brand new, usually at least 3 - 5 years ago. Why do I care? I've been furniture shopping and I know what a couch, desk, and chairs cost brand new.

But I also know that someone's hind end hasn't been making indents in it for a few years. I couldn't care less how much an item was paid for a few years ago.

I want to know what I'll be paying for it now.

And right now, I can get decent new furniture at Big Lots for about the same price.

But I won't. Because deals can be had. I'm just waiting for someone who wants to make one to list something worthwhile.

1 comment:

Joy said...

AMEN SISTER! (just visiting from Taking the Statistical Bullet).

I, too, shop craigslist and people are extremely ridiculous in their pricing! I usually email them with something like, "If you don't get any offers within two weeks, email me. I'll give you $50 for it."