Wednesday, October 24, 2007

In the middle ...

Yesterday was our first due date.

When we had our 6wk ultrasound with our RE, seeing our baby's heartbeat for the first time, she estimated a due date of October 23rd.

Tomorrow's our second due date.

Our first appointment with an actual OB, where we heard the heartbeat for the first time, estimated a due date of October 25th with a high resolution ultrasound.

I was a bit worried about the difference - one office measuring the baby 2 days behind another. But not enough to freak out. We attributed the difference to the different machines since the heartbeat was strong.

Two mornings later I was back in the OB's office, this time bleeding and carrying our baby, still inside its tiny amniotic sac, in a sandwich baggy in my purse. If I went by their estimate, I was exactly 7wks along.

I'll never be able to get the image of her little budding body out of my head. Nor the brief sight of the nurses staring into the container the nurse practitioner had put it in. I'm sure it's not every day someone brings in a complete amniotic sac with the embryo still floating inside, but I wanted to scream at them as the door closed.

And as much as I wish I could scrub my brain clean, I know it was the probably best thing I did that morning. The doctors testing our baby's chromosones let us know it was perfect, signaling a need to test me for yet more imperfections, and that it was a girl.

Not a day has gone by that I haven't thought about her. Knowing what milestone I would have passed and what milestone would be coming up next.

And instead of celebrating a birth, I'm faced with the final reality that a baby of our own is pretty much out of reach.

I'm not sure how I'll feel tomorrow morning. I know I'll wish her a silent happy birthday, but I don't know that I'll mark it any other way.

Or I may find that getting out of bed is beyond my ability.

October came a lot faster than I expected.

6 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

sending you blog lovin'

Dr. Grumbles said...

Thinking of you and your lost little girl.

lub said...

Stay in bed. I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. It is incredibly sad and unfair. I am wishing you peace tomorrow and will be thinking of you.

RBandRC said...

I'm so sorry. Sending you lots of hugs.

Katie said...

I know what today is. I just want you to know that I remember. I am going to do for you and your angel what I have done for my others on special dates. I bought a baby blanket at Target and will be taking it to the hospital near our house. They have a program where they wrap stillborn babies in these donated blankets and then the parents take the blankets home as a memory. I hope that you don't mind, but I always like thinking that the memory of my angels help others going through such pain. You and your angel are remembered today.

s day @ sdayrunning.blogspot.com said...

my heart aches for you. I lost mine at 8wks this past July and I wasn't brave enough to even keep the tiny angel that slipped away too soon. I certainly think you are amazing. Hang in there. I am dreading Leap Year Feb29th as my "lost due date", I guess I am lucky it will only come up every 4 years???
Hugs.