The trip to the employment center took more time and energy than I expected.
The woman explained the process - pick a career category, pick the actual career, check with them to make sure it's 'in demand', then contact the school listed for futher information.
So the woman and I went through a few things I'd actually been interested in for some time now. Lucky for me, the medical industry is considered 'in demand' and there were a variety of certificate type degrees to choose from.
After talking to her, I went to the local college the course is offered through and talked to their financial guy. He explained it's a tri-mester course. The next one starts 1/1 and then another on 5/1 (yes, of 09). The 1/1 course is full, but he'll put me on the waiting list in case an opening comes up. Otherwise it'll be May.
Which would suck balls. In order for the state to pay for it, I have to be collecting unemployment. I can't stay on unemployment until May.
Back to the employment center I went, armed with forms and another booklet the guy at the college gave me. She believes there's a bit of a work-around ... the goal is to get me into the program while on unemployment so they'll continue to pay for it even if my benefits run out.
So the game plan right now is for me to take an anatomy / terminology course starting next month that will (hopefully) lead into my getting into the one starting in January. I have to call them the first part of next week to talk to the woman actually in charge of the program, but the one I talked to and the one she consulted with say that'll have to be the way to do it.
I also discovered that I could work part time while still collecting unemployment. I have to call the actual unemployment office, though, to find out the limits - I would have to stay under a certain amount to continue collecting the full benefit every week, but I could make a bit more than that and just have my benefits reduced by that much.
The goal is to bring in more each week, not less. So I really need to see what the limits are before going out and getting a part time job.
She wasn't sure, though, as the office is now a resource office geared solely at helping "dislocated workers" get schooling, create resumes & cover letters, interviewing skills, etc .... and finding jobs.
I spent my afternoon once again tracking down cable / internet deals. I do believe we'll soon be dropping our cable provider and going with d.ire.ct.t.v., but I'm not sure what we'll do about the internet. Everyone wants to charge an arm and a leg for just that.
All told, it was a pretty busy day for this 'dislocated worker' and I see an early bed time in my future.
1 comment:
We went through Knology and love it!
Tiff
Post a Comment