Saturday, September 6, 2008

Mishmash ...

The di.rec.t.t.v. was installed in about an hour yesterday morning. And it's a plus package, so it includes the DVR.

I can now pause & rewind shows as I watch them, come in after a show starts and rewind it (but only if it was already on that channel), and record gobs of shows - such as it's already set to record the new episodes for my fave evening tv shows, like Bones, Criminal Minds, and CSI, in case I miss them.

The only issue - and it's really not an issue at all - is that the picture is now so clear and bright that it's making me a bit dizzy. That's mainly because we're now too close to the tv since I rearranged the furniture a couple weeks ago. We had already talked about scooching everything around one more wall again anyway, so this just means we'll need to do it sooner as opposed to later.

And the picture really is soooo much clearer and brighter than it was with cable. And there's no staticy sound on any of the channels, either! Double, triple score!

We'll soon be switching our internet service as well since the cable company lost their freakin minds and charge $51 a month for internet alone.

I haven't heard a word about that interview I went on a couple weeks ago, so I'm guessing I'm out of the main running. My Godmother said not to assume that as some companies do take some time to come to a decision and there's the background check to wait on, but I'm not holding my breath.

I do want to look into getting a part time job of some sort, though. At least with a part time job I won't lose all of my unemployment pay. I did the math and working just 15 hours a week will still bring in about another $75 a week above what I'm already bringing in. I know it hardly seems worth it, but a full time job at whereever for just $8 an hour would bring in what I'm already making on unemployment. And I refuse to work 40 hrs a week at a crappy job to bring in the same amount of money.

Like my cousin pointed out, though, it should be something fun. Something that won't have me wondering why the hell I'm even leaving the house.

So I'm hitting up all my contacts to see if there's a way I can sneak into a bartending gig of some sort. No, I have absolutely no experience or schooling. But I do know most clubs prefer their bartenders not have gone to bartending school (at least the ones here do hah), so maybe that'll be in my favor.

I don't know. But I think it'd be fun to be able to bartend a bit at a club I use to practically live at on the weekends.

It's just a thought.

1 comment:

Ms. J said...

Just a thought . . . have you thought of going for training for something in the medical field - such as being a tech of some sort? Even if you are squeamish, there are LOTS of things in the hospital-doctor-medical field that have nothing to do with blood, and you can be trained for in a relatively short time.

I know you live in a good-sized city as I do . . . here, they are desperate for folks to fill jobs like these, and I'd imagine it's the same where you are, probably. In fact, where I live some of the hospitals will even pay for all or part of your training if you work for them (commit to a certain number of years) afterwards. By doing so, you could also solve your health insurance issue! And you can do a lot of flexible hours, shifts, etc.

Again, just a thought. If I were doing Life all over again I would probably do something like this myself!