We finally returned the cable company's equipment, officially disconnecting our service with them, and hooked up the dsl equipment. A few weeks after signing up for dir.ect.t.v. and the dsl, but hey ... it's done.
But that meant no internet from Monday evening until last night. My withdrawal symptoms weren't too bad.
Monday morning I thought I'd mow the lawn. After letting Hoss loose into the yard (he likes to 'help' me mow the back yard), I decided to check the location of the landscaping rocks around the pussywillow tree and mexican petunias near our deck.
You might think that'd be obvious - they're decent sized rocks. But we don't have a weedeater. And we don't garden. Which means we don't pull weeds (if it can't be mowed flat, we pretty much ignore it). So tall weeds had overgrown the rocks as well as a rock walkway on the other side of the deck. I couldn't even see the rocks around the plants anymore, nor that walkway.
Much to my dismay, I discovered that when you pull one weed, you pull a lot of weeds.
I couldn't stop. Hoss even got into the action by pulling some (bulldogs live to tug). Next thing I knew, I had the area by the tree completely cleaned out. I did end up putting Hoss back into his kennel when he went after the garbage bag I brought out to stuff weeds into, but I let Biscuit outside and she contributed as well (by picking a bare dirt patch and digging).
A few hours later (hey ... I take breaks), I had the area around the deck completely weeded and the strip along the back of the house done as well. Which includes the rock walkway that had been covered by a bunch of overgrowth on either side of it.
Then I finally mowed the yard. And I was quite pleased with myself. Filthy, for sure, but satisfied in what I can only assume is some sort of Suzie Homemaker kind of way.
Later in the afternoon, my friends Marty and Alan brought over a coffee table they snagged from another friend's neighbor. For free even. It's been sanded and poly'd and is now ready for my living room.
All of that work gave me a great chance to take advantage of our dvr. So even though I could have been doing productive things yesterday - like more than 1 load of laundry - I spent part of the day watching the programs I missed Monday evening.
And now I'm back. Although I have this horrible urge to attack the landscaping in front of our house because there are a few things there that need to be pulled.
Which can only mean I may soon be in search of a padded room.
No comments:
Post a Comment