Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Work update ...

Ok ... I've survived my first 3 days.

Score.

It isn't bad at all. The people on my team really are super nice and funny and a lively bunch.

The computer system isn't hard (although the ones who use both bitch about the one I'm using because it's newer and has more clicks to get through, but I think it's fairly simple to navigate through).

The work itself can get pretty confusing, but so far so good. It's just a lot to remember. Right now, though, they're having use new ones put our reports in a re-audit que for review before letting us actually approve them. So at least someone will catch any errors before they're actually made.

But I spent this entire afternoon at my desk, by myself, processing reports. And standing up to ask the mentor girl a gazillion questions. I was able to get through a number of them on my own, though, so I count that as a positive.

The air on our floor is super dry and I've ended up with massive headaches both yesterday and today (I'm waiting for today's Tylenol to kick in gah).

Another plus - and this tickled me, having come from a call center - we can listen to music. We can bring an MP3 player if we have one or listen to streaming radio online. We can't surf - that place is locked down tighter than a virgin's panties. But I'm all excited about being able to bring my MP3 player to listen to while I'm working.

I can still pretty much make my own schedule and they're currently offering unlimited amounts of overtime. I did go in at 7 this morning so I could leave at 3:30, come home, get my last unemployment check, then run to the bank since it absolutely needed to be deposited today. But no check. I'm pissed. I filed like normal on Sunday and I always have it on Wednesday when I file on Sunday, but not today. Which means I won't get it until Friday. Or ... I had better get the damned thing on Friday, would be a better way to put it.

I'm going to have to beg Marc to come by here and deposit it for me since I don't know that I want to be up at 5am again on Friday.

Anyway ...

They hired a direct hire who started at the same time as us. And the first 2 days were full of "you'll need to do this, but they won't because ... blah blah blah". Such as a security review and test. The other new hire temp and I were repeatedly told we didn't need to do it since we're not employees of the company. But - and this is a good but - she told me this morning to do it on Friday "because you can never tell". So I take that to mean I may be able to slide into a permanent position.

The other thing is that they were initially going to move me to a desk next to the other temp person - which is a block of cubicles away from the rest of the team. Apparently the desk I was put in is slotted for a permanent hire. Yesterday, though, there was a question about my profile on their intranet thing and she told me to go ahead and put the phone number to my current desk in it since that'll be my phone number. Not the phone number for the phone at the other temp desk.

So ... I'm going to try to not assume anything, but both of those things do give me reason to think that maybe - again - I'll be sliding into one of the permanent positions they have open (they currently have 2 perm positions open in their team).

And now I'm off to lay on the couch and wait for my head to stop pounding.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Sorrry about the dry air, but hooray at the big possibility of a permanent position!!!