Sunday, November 16, 2008

Shopping Success ... kinda ...

We did go shopping yesterday.

I bought a couple pairs of jeans, 4 tops and, a sweater. But 3 of the tops will need to go back - they're too tight across the chest. I thought those tops might be, but figured I'd risk it since they didn't have any of them a size up.

No, I didn't try them on at the store. I always find that depressing, so I don't do it.

I especially hate shopping for tops. I'm large breasted and always end up having to buy a larger size just to go around the boobs without looking like I'm heading for a porn shoot. It's especially depressing when I know I don't wear an XXL, but that's all that will fit them. So I end up with a top that has room for my girls, but is too large everywhere else.

Although I do think clothes have started running smaller and smaller in the last several years. My younger step-sister, who has weighed more than 105lbs only when she was pregnant and has small boobs, usually has to go with a medium these days. And that girl is not a medium, believe me.

Anyway ... 3 tops will need to be exchanged.

The 2 pairs of jeans I bought in a 14 and they fit pretty well. My belly needs a 16 (it's the first place I gain weight and the last place I lose it), but my butt and thighs are a 14. Most of my jeans are all saggy assed and baggy thighed because I shop for comfort, not style. Seeing as the goal of these were to dress them up with a nice top and nice shoes, I didn't want the baggy.

So although I'll be all squeezed in the middle with the dreaded muffin top overhang, the rest of them look damned good. And since I never (I mean, never) wear any top tucked or snug, the bit of overhang won't be a problem.

(that image is oh-so-attractive, isn't it?)

Even the husband mentioned the difference in fit. That should tell you how significant it is.

I'll need to get those exchanged, pick up a few more, along with another pair or two of jeans, and pick out a few pairs of shoes for the week. Tennis shoes are allowed only on Friday and the only pair of dressy shoes I own are high heeled boots, so I'm going to have to find some sort of something else that will look good and be comfy. I already have a few pairs of dressy pants (in basic, classic colors), so I'm not really worried about that as I'll only wear them a couple times a week and mixing the tops should keep the "didn't you just wear that?" away.

I also talked about our sweet-tooths last night. Patrick makes awesome pumpkin pie cheesecake and goes a bit nuts with them this time of year. Add Halloween candy and other not good for you foods mixed with a serious lack of will power on my end and you have someone who's steps away from no longer fitting into the nice jeans she just bought.

So I've decreed - we really need to be more careful about what foods we bring into our house. We already eat grilled chicken most nights for dinner (it's cheap) and a veggie, but it's the extras we bring in.

Like the blueberry muffin mix we bought last night.

This is going to be tough.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Yay for the new jeans, sorry about the new tops. I completely agree with you about sizes getting smaller and smaller. Of course, if you want to go back in history, a size 14 would have been closer to a size 10 when my Mom was my age.

You can send all of your muffins and pumpkin cheescake my way!

AwkwardMoments said...

AH yeah for new jeans. I have that top issue as well

Alyssa said...

Ugh about thre returns. I hate, hate, hate it when I have to take stuff back. Sometimes I don't mind trying things on but, more often than not, I'm in too much of a hurry and I figure things will be fine. Imagine my disgust when they don't fit. :)