Monday, October 20, 2008

Selling my soul ...

At least that's what it feels like.

I broke down Friday and submitted my resume to a local call center. I know a couple people that work there and the money is really good and the health insurance is free and it is M - F daytime hours.

But it's a call center.

This is what I get for not finishing college. And now that I'm a grown-up with grown-up bills, I can't afford to forsake the full time pay to go to school. Even tuition reimbursement wouldn't do much as you still have to pay for the classes up front and then wait for your money to be reimbursed, which never happens before the next sessions start.

I've yet to find a scholarship program that's aimed at adults only, I don't qualify for any type of federal aide due to mine and my husband's salaries, and I abhor the thought of taking out a student loan.

But something's gotta give, as they say.

Because working in customer service sucks. Really. I can tell you with no amount of exaggeration that people have changed for the worse over the last 15 years. People no longer hesitate to yell and curse at the faceless entity on the other end of the line, some even making pretty nasty personal comments about the person trying to help them (note: sometimes when you're put on hold, the phone is just muted and we can still hear everything you're saying). And having been on the receiving end, I can also tell you that it's absolutely undeserved 99.99% of the time.

And apologizing after you've already spewed your vile hate doesn't even come close to making up for it.

So ... I'm about to start their online testing process.

I can't put into words how upsetting it is and how defeated I feel.

3 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

THe grass is not always greener when it comes to those pesky college degrees. I have one and I make squat. My husband does not have one and makes a very decent salary. I have ALOT of school loans that my college degree job can not often afford to pay.

In life you do what you need to do in order to live the life you want to lead. I am doing a little soul searching myself lately.

Alyssa said...

I'm so sorry you're finding yourself in such an unwanted spot. I know how awful it can be to work with the general public and I completely understand your trepidation in going to that kind of work.

I will hope that something more desirable comes your way, and quickly, my friend.

Anonymous said...

the search has been pretty demoralizing for me too - and i have a college degree. i used to work at an adoption agency years ago entering applicant information into the databse. being that i was also going to college i was paying particular attention to salaries, positions and education level. i found no relationship at all between educaion level and income. i was shocked. so just some food for thought.
i used to work in a customer service enviornment and found that people could be real jerks too! however if you can get good pay and benefits, plus a nice schedule that is pretty good too.
above all, keep your head up. last monday i broke down in tears and what do you know, the next day i got a call back and secured by third interview. there is no rhyme or reason, we just got to be ready when opportunity knocks. good luck