Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thoughts on shopping ...

I'm scouring the sales ads today, looking for who's the cheapest on what. I even looked online to get a general idea of who's cheapest on what isn't on sale (although Wal-Mart apparently isn't big on posting the prices of their stuff).

And I have a pad of paper and a pen to write down at the stores what I can't find online. I'll drive a few miles back to a store if it'll save me a few dollars because those few dollars add up when it's on more than just one or two items.

Yay for shopping when you're poor!

Anyway ...

I need to get a few things that'll last us a bit - the basics like chicken and more chicken and ground beef. Those I can separate into actual per-meal (not sure why, but I don't like the word 'meal') baggies to take out as needed. And a couple of things that I can make for dinner that'll give us left-overs, like a roast I can cram into our crockpot.

And I need to make sure to stay away from the lure of 'awesome' pricing - such as 10 for $10. It doesn't do me any good to spend $10 on something I normally wouldn't buy anyway just because the price is a good one.

Which leads me to coupons. I have a few that I'll be taking with me, but sometimes it's hard to not cut something out simply because it's a coupon. My judge is - if I don't normally buy it, I don't cut the coupon. Otherwise I'll be spending money on something I wouldn't buy any other day just to 'save' money. Which wouldn't be saving money at all, now would it?

So those are my thoughts for today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

10 for $10...if my husband read this who would die laughing because i am such a sucker for them. i remember one time i almost bought 10 bags of french fries for $10.