Friday, March 7, 2008

Still weirded out ...

I had a conversation with my best friend last night about the whole ... what if one of your direct reports finds your blog? What really is the worst outcome?

Well ... I can't talk about work at all then. And when I'm frazzled about work, it's all I want to talk about. Even though I don't give any specifics anyway (it's not completely co-worker free), I still like to be able to unabashadly say how frustrated and upset I am. Which I don't feel like I can do if someone who's quality scores and such depend on me reads this blog.

But Marc pointed out that's not what set me off. It was the fact that someone may have learned about what we're dealing with when I wasn't the one that set that learning into motion.

And he said - what's the worst that can happen? Someone might actually see you as human rather than a cold-hearted supervisor (good Lord I hope none of them see me as cold-hearted, although I'm sure there are times a few think I'm a bitch).

My reply was that I need the distance between my personal and work life in order to do my job without personal feelings getting in the way. If they know too much about my personal life, I worry that I'll lose something in my role.

He reminded me of my belief that it's our job to educate others about infertility through sharing our experiences. And how can I close a door that might help someone else better understand our struggles simply because it made me feel uncomfortable?

Which has made me think quite a bit. Because he's right. Although I still feel pretty wonky over the whole thing.

But an e-mail from someone this morning made me wonder if my fear was unfounded. Which would make me a paranoid dolt. If that's the case, then all this was for nothing and things will go back to normal.

*** Edit ***

Mystery solved. My mystery commenter was this young lady and not a co-worker. I'll be sure to flog her properly for sending me into a frenzy, but it actually gave me some things to think about since my reaction was nothing like I would have expected it to be.

This means I'll be removing the privacy thing. Except without all the fanfare (Sorry Melissa!) so I don't have to beg forgiveness from several hundred for taking up much needed Lost and Found posting space hah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm here for my flogging! Make it good! ;-)

But I'd have to say that I don't think you're a "paranoid dolt". I understand where you're coming from. That's why I went to wordpress...so I could password protect the blogs that I wanted to.

Good luck on finding a happy medium!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

No problem at all. I'm glad you solved the mystery :-)