Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Of words and wisdom ...

Although you probably couldn't tell from here, I have a pretty good grasp of the English language. I'm a stickler for rules of wording (such as when to use we or I / were or was) and am a horrible grammar nazi. I scored seriously high in the English portion of the ACT (it was so long ago). So high that it more than made up for my seriously low math and science scores. Yes, the one category made up for 2 others. That high.

Several years ago, there was a place called ThemeStream where people wrote. Not like a blog, although I'm sure some used it for that purpose. But most wrote stories, articles, poems, and the like.

I wrote, turning normal happenings into (what I hoped was) witty commentary. Nothing major, but it took work to tell stories about my life without sounding mundane.

I'm not good at writing fiction. I don't do scenery or descriptions of people well. I tried a couple of times and they were flat. So the things I wrote about really were just daily things that I did what I could to turn into more than a grocery list.

But I enjoyed the writing I did. Sometimes it was just for the sake of writing and other times it was because I needed an outlet.

ThemeStream closed down, but I continued writing for a time. Those writings were straight catharsis with nothing fun about them at all.

After a time of that, I stopped completely.

ThemeStream came to mind earlier today. I wasn't thinking about writing; it was just one of those thoughts that seemed to pop up out of nowhere.

I remembered how much I enjoyed writing and how even the non-cathartic stories were still cathartic in their own way. I didn't care if I was given feedback or not. I wrote to write.

I wrote for myself.

I think I'm going to start again. I can't say I'll do it here because I don't know that I will.

But I feel a pull to start writing again.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Ooh, yes, do write! I find writing to be so cathartic, especially when I am pulled to do it. If you're feeling the pull, it's definitely time to get back into it!