Thursday, March 27, 2008

Attack mode ...

I know the signs.

The suddenly racing heart and shortness of breath, the sweaty palms, the urge to vomit.

I've been through many a panic attack.

In times past, I knew the cause and I knew the solution was to wait them out. They would wreak havoc for several minutes and then pass.

This time I know the cause, but I don't know the solution.

I get hit and immediately acknowledge it, only to have it amp up. Thinking about it only makes them worse, not better. Along with the urge to vomit is the new want to curl into ball and ... well ... bawl, along with a healthy dose of fear.

Waiting them out doesn't seem to be the answer. I've been waiting this one out for more than a half hour now and it's showing no signs of slowing down.

My system seems to have gone into attack mode and my own body and psyche are the targets.

No comments: