Friday, November 9, 2007

Yet more boring house stuff ...

We have water! Yay!

My husband, who is an awesome man, found the leak in the first place he dug. He was all sorts of muddy by the time my dad & I got there with our bed and there was a 3ft deep hole in our yard, but his exhausted self was all sorts of glad. Me too, as his being able to do things like this saved us hundreds of dollars. I'm quite proud of the guy.

So he put a boot (I still have no idea what that is) on what turned out to be a costly teeny, tiny split, which completely stopped the leak, and is going to work to replace that entire section today. The boot should work fine, but he's nervous it'll split or break at some point and we'll be back at step 1.

I picked up a cheapie set of pots at the dollar general store, so we were even able to have real food last night. Nothing grand as we really don't have groceries, but it was the first time we cooked in the house. So that's something.

The smoke smell is better. I'll need to paint the kitchen next, but it's not as pressing as it was.

We still don't have all the animals with us yet. Biscuit has spent the last couple nights with us, last night hogging the middle of the bed (at just 12lbs, it's amazing how much room she can take). My dad brought her brother, Charlie, with him yesterday and Charlie, being Charlie, managed to escape the yard when the guys were coming through the side gate. 10 minutes and 3 houses across the street later, I had him back in the yard. The trick? Dogs that barked, which kept him interested in a specific area, and my pretending a rock was food I was eating. The dog can't pass up food and I snatched him up when he came close to check it out.

Anyway ... the cats and my other 2 dogs are still here at dad's. If I can't get Hoss's kennel from work sometime today, it'll be next week before I can get him moved. The cats ... eh ... they can technically be moved anytime now. Except this morning I didn't empty the van before coming over here and there's no way I can chuck them in the back with all that stuff.

But I'm no longer worried about the old girl, Pearl, being a barker. Both houses that border ours have 2 dogs each and they're barkers. Really really barky. So if the neighborhood has put up with them, there's no worries about Pearl.

So we're good. Still getting things straight (silly me for thinking we'd be all moved in within just a couple of days ... hah!), but we're almost there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the new place!