Most of our things are moved. Although I ended up not being as motivated as I intended to in my last post. I ended up taking a quick nap on the couch and didn't get a thing packed up until Patrick got here a couple hours later.
The previous owners smoke. And apparently smoked in the house. The house is seriously airtight. Which means the whole place reeked of smoke and you could see a huge difference between where the pictures were and the rest of the walls.
Which made us decide to paint a lot sooner than we had planned.
So that set us back another couple hours as we toured Home Depot - he for dog house building supplies and I for coordinating paint colors.
My best gay, Marc, came over and helped me paint the living room (the largest offender in the home) and our bedroom (which was this awful mint green color) while Patrick went back to the family farm and picked up the shiffer (sp?) robe (it's like an armoir), 2 really old couches, a chair, and other miscellaneous stuff.
The best part? The KUB guy showed up to read the meter for the switch-over and announced that we have a water leak somewhere.
Yes folks, our home has a water leak somewhere between the meter and the house. And we, figuring the sellers were already being generous with the closing costs and the inspection was so awesome, didn't ask for a home warranty.
Yay.
Patrick has been all over the crawl space and even replaced a pressure valve (there's a water regulator to help conserve water), and the slowed the meter a bit, but there's a leak somewhere outside. And nope, our home owner's insurance doesn't cover service lines. And KUB doesn't service service lines either.
So amid all the Yay! for buying our own home with a fantabulous yard, there's also an Aw Fuck! for the water leak as that's going to cost a pretty penny.
Biscuit, our small dog, spent the night with us last night. I came by yesterday to get a couple more things and scooped her up, too. She's not use to a fenced-in yard. She's use to being able to run loose. So each trip to the back yard turned into a labor of fence inspecting. She met 2 of the neighbor dogs (who bark - a lot. Which makes me feel better about my own dogs barking hah), laid on the couch, followed me from room to room, barked at the kids coming home from school, and spent the night sleeping between my legs. We don't have our bed yet (it's still here, but on today's agenda), so that meant I couldn't even turn over. Cuz ... well ... you don't disturb sleeping animals, duh.
I spent most of yesterday with a paint fume induced headache, which included wanting to puke. A couple of TheraFlu pills knocked me out and took care of the headache, thank God. I was absolutely miserable.
So I'm back at dad's right now. Biscuit is running around with Charlie (her littermate and best bud) and I'm just hanging out. Patrick has to work this morning, but then he'll head here to get the bed and the last of our things, then we'll head back to the house to get the dog house built. I need to run to the dollar store and get a few cat pans so I can get the cats moved, and a hamper.
I also need to call someone about that leak. Argh.
1 comment:
Aaah - I totally know what you mean about the previous owner's smoking! We moved into our house last March, and our house is just now getting to the point were it smells like our home and not a crappy, stuffy, cigarette-infested building. Hopefully the painting will take care of quite a bit of it, but here's a few things that worked for us too: we bought DampRid - it's supposed to be used in humid places (like a basement) to absorb moisture) but we just put a couple plastic dishes of it around the house and it helped A TON; we also put some vinegar in glass jars (for some reason they have to be glass) and put them in inconspicuous places that seemed to help; lastly, I don't know how you feel about air fresheners, but we got a few of those little silver cans of room freshener from Bath and Body Works, and those help out too because they're pretty long lasting. Also, if your house has wallpaper, the wallpaper tends to absorb the smoke extra-well, so taking that down might help too. And finally, if you have carpet, getting that professionally cleaned helped a bit too. Sorry this is a looooong comment, but I hear ya, and it sucks. Hopefully you'll have it smelling normal in no time! :)
(and good luck with the water leak - isn't home ownership awesome! *eyeroll*)
Post a Comment