Sunday, November 4, 2007

Got a bit excited there ...

Ok, so I spoke a bit too soon hah

Don't get me wrong, we should be able to start moving sometime tomorrow. But, for today at least, I still have computer access at the father unit's home.

Over the last few days, I called around for cable / internet connection prices. A lot of places are running what they call the "Triple Play" - you get cable, internet, and phone for something around $99 a month for a year. But we don't want or need a home phone. Both of us have cell phones and technology these days allows for better 911 usage if we need it. So why have a home phone? Other than to allow telemarketers call us, that is.

Pricing for just internet and cable / dish is really really ridiculous. Really. The lowest price I could find was $124 a month. And that was for just basic cable that included only the local channels. And the two dish networks that service this area use dsl, requiring you have an active phone line.

Puh.

Except for Knology, a smaller company that services only a handful of cities in the south. Their cost for internet and cable is $66 a month with no activation fees. And that includes a 7mbps cable internet and cable tv with all channels plus a premium channel. And that price is guaranteed through June of 2008. The downside is that the first available appointment was Monday the 12th. Ick. But the order confirmation lady sent a note to their installation department to see if they can squeeze me into any spare openings that may come up. It's just that I won't really have much notice - they'll call and one of us will have to be available.

I'm looking forward to having this week off. I worked almost all day yesterday (I was just 1 hour shy of a full shift) to meet with my direct reports and prepare to be off. I have a lot I need to have ready to report by 12/1, so I was going to bring my laptop with me so I could get a good chunk of some stuff done during the week. But then I said ... Fuck it. There's been a good bit of drama at work lately and I need the time away. Plus I deserve to be able to fully enjoy moving into our new home without anything else hanging over my head.

For the record, my period hasn't started yet. I know it's waiting for the opportune time - like Wednesday, when we should be officially moved in. The two unfallible warning signs have poofed and I have no other signs yet, such as sore boobs, so I'm thinking this is going to be one of those months where I get no warnings and the bitch just shows up.

2 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

We have the triple package (even though we never use our phone) I have heard good things about knowlogy. I hope it all goes very smootly for you. You deserve time off from work .

Rumpkin said...

Just wanted to say congrats on your new home!! I am proud of the two of you. Send me some pics when you get that internet up and running. By the way...you still owe me a hug. Love ya cuz.