My new position will be "official" on July 1st. I've been working it for almost 3 months now, but the first 90 days were an evaluation / probationary time (ya know, in case I sucked and they decided to throw me back) and that time is almost up. I've done a serious amount of work in the last 90 days.
My first new hire class is doing well and are themselves almost done with their 90 days. I get a lot of satisfaction out of looking back to when they started and seeing how far they've all come. There's been a few trials - from freaking out to trying my patience beyond belief - but all of them have grown in their jobs.
I have a 2nd new hire class that's two weeks in. We started out with 4 and are down to 2. One person was let go by the service we were using and one I let go myself. It's hard to know you're ending someone's job, but I gave it a lot of serious thought before making the final decision. And that decision, for the first time ever, is completely up to me. I've been in positions where my input was asked, but this is the first time I've been the one to ask for input and then to make the decision. It's a lot of responsibility and pretty weighty on the shoulders.
And since I'm still responsible for the first class (they're mine through their first 90 days) as well as all the material and training for our new software and the newest new hire class, I've been insanely busy. So insanely busy that I've worked most Saturdays for at least a few hours. Granted I'm still hourly and getting overtime for it, but still ... giving up Saturdays sucks.
One of our leads and I were talking about how we have so much going on and are doing so many different things that we can't really pinpoint exactly what we've done at the end of the day. If you ask me what I did Wednesday afternoon, I honestly couldn't tell you. I know I worked on a number of things, but I couldn't tell you specifically what I did. There was a lot of decision making scheduling-wise and there were some calls I listened to and some reports I did, and some materials I worked on, but that's about as specific as I can get.
All I know is that I'm usually tired. By the end of the day I'm ready to fall out and yet I can't say exactly why.
It's odd ... being that busy without really being able to say how busy I was.
No comments:
Post a Comment