Ok, so I was wrong.
It is a genetic issue.
I have homozygosity (hah I said homo) of the C677T polyorphism in the MTHFR gene.
If your head hasn't exploded with all the medical scientific jumbo-mumbo, the basic thing is that it causes a severe folic acid deficiency that leads to early on-set cardiovascular disease and strokes due to blood clots, as well as an increased risk of having a child with a neural tube defect.
The solution, thank God, is doable.
I'll have to be on a much higher dose of follic acid than prenatal vitamins include, as well as a baby aspirin a day. My RE is going to refer me to a geneticist to talk about it, but she said I'll more than likely have to take those every day for the rest of my life to bring my levels down to normal and be at the normal risk levels for the other crap.
Baby-wise, the follic acid and baby aspirin will be taken with the heparin shots to decrease the risk of a neural tube defect and of the clots forming in the placenta.
It's a lot of information to take in and my head is still spinning. But all I'm holding onto is the fact that it has a workable solution.
1 comment:
Damn. Makes me think of the side effects that come with birth control. I wonder why it is when it comes to meds that deal with the female reproductive system there has to be so many side effects?
Post a Comment