
I don't get many blog-type awards. This is probably the first, actually.
Jaded, a woman I greatly admire, passed this to me. If you haven't read her blog, you need to. She is a survivor in every sense of the word and I'm repeatedly astounded at her level of determination and guts. She doesn't see herself as strong, but she is. I refer to her as my 'stranger-friend'. I don't know her, but I do. And I love every inch. I'd nominate her all over again if I could.
Now on to 10 honest things about me ...
1) I have a very low irritation threshold. People irritate me, small, repetitive sounds irritate me, humming and whistling irritate me ... you get the picture. I'm known to (not "I have been known to ..." because I do this all the time) take things out of people's hands - pens, pencils, wrappers - when they click, tap, or crinkle them. One of my cube neighbors at work has recently started making post-yawn sounds early in the morning. Every time she yawns, there's now a sound afterwards. I want to whack her.
2) I find showering an inconvenience. I do it, don't get me wrong. But between the washing and shampooing and shaving ... good grief. It's a rare day for me to just stand under the shower head, relaxing in the hot water. The only time, really, is when I'm seriously upset or have had a rough time with something. Otherwise I'm in and out as quickly as possible.
3) I'm terrified of dentists. In that insane, completely irrational, want to vomit just thinking of making an appointment sort of way. For this reason, I never go. Ever. The only time is when I absolutely have to and, even then, it's a serious undertaking for me. My mom swears it's because I had to have some work done on my baby teeth way back when. I don't remember any of that, though. All I know is that I need to go, I really need to go, but chances are I'll wait until I have no other choice but to go before I do. I'm actually contemplating having most of them, if not all, just pulled and getting falsies. That way I'll never again have to worry about going to the dentist.
4) I like porn. I surf porn, I buy porn, and I watch porn. I don't think it's degrading to women and I find that train of thought to be a bunch of hooey. I know where the adult stores are in town and have been to them all. And I buy stuff most times I go in. Maybe not movies or magazines every time, but sometimes. Sometimes it's oils or lotions or just something cheesey-fun. I don't slink in and then not make eye contact with the ladies (my fave store has always had nothing but women working there) behind the counter. I don't hide my face or look down when I slap my purchase on the counter. Same goes for a book I may buy from a "regular" book store. I have no shame about it and refuse to act like it's anything but my right to enjoy those things.
5) I'm a smoker. How's that for a big one?!? I didn't smoke while we were pregnant, but I made Patrick stop at a gas station on the way home from the doctor's office the morning we lost our daughter. I don't smoke inside our home and I try to be respectful of others if I'm outside. I almost didn't put this one in here because I know the knee-jerk reaction it'll get, especially from my fellow IFers. But I'm being honest ... and this is honest. So please resist the urge to follow-up on that knee-jerk reaction you're having.
6) I believe in God, but not the bible. I believe there was a messiah, someone who was spiritually advanced, but I don't know that he was literally 'the son of God'. And I don't believe that my being unsure of Jesus's origins will keep me out of heaven. Although I don't think the heaven I see in my heart is the same heaven described by your stereotypical Christian. With the many religions, and even the differing factions within each religion, how does any one of them know that they're 100% "right"? They don't. As stated by Rufus in the movie Dogma "... humanity took a good idea and, like always, built a belief structure on it." I think we've taken a great idea and screwed the living daylights out of it.
7) As confrontational as I can be, I sometimes have a hard time standing up for myself. For others, no problem. I don't hesitate to stand up for friends and family. For them I get incensed, verbal and, if need be, I'll get physical. But for myself? I actually find that much harder than some might expect.
8) I think the internet and related technology has made a lot of us far too complacent. We no longer try and find facts on our own (example: Health Care), but are happy to take a tiny snippet from someone else as gospel. It's easier than having to do the work on our own and we take it. For all the good technology has done for us, it's also turned us into herd-following, sound-bite accepting animals.
9) I worked on the same cross-stitch for 3 years. Really. 3 years. I'd work on it some, get bored and put it up. Then I'd run across it several months later while looking for something else and start again. Then I'd put it up. And the cycle would continue. I'm not sure what eventually happened to it, but I do know that I never finished it.
10) I hoarde coffee cups in my van. When I run out of go cups, I'll start taking our regular coffee cups. And then I don't take them back inside the house. I just bring out a new one the next morning and shift the other one someplace else. When I do finally clean them out of my van, it's only because we've pretty much run out of them in the house. We're talking a lot of coffee cups, not just 2 or 3. More like 8 or 9. Crazy, I know.
Whew. That was harder than I expected.
The following women are rocks. They may not realize it, but each of them have helped me stand up more than a few times. I don't do gush very well, but please rest assured that they're amazing women who have provided me with strength, comfort, and a safe harbor when I needed it the most.
Mind Of Olivia Drab (I'm so going to miss your blog!)
3 comments:
You are so kind to think of me (sniffling on my end)!
I am with ya on showering -- I do it, but damn it's a pain in the ass. And when I have to dry my hair, then style, ugh.
As for porn ... I think so long as it doesn't involve children or animals, I don't care what floats people's boats. I live the erotic fiction, truth be told. And there is a terrific store 'round here that sells all sorts of fun toys aimed at women! They even have parties and will send someone to your house, like an updated Tu.pperware party -- it' a hoot for girls' nite!
Oh thank you! You are such a sweetheart. You are my friend!
I can not leave you hanging out there on your own! I watch porn too - it's all good. There are many sides to us - including a sexual one. I don't understand why people are so uptight about it.
I do love showering - its almost like a spiritual experience. You would not beleive how much crap i buy for bathing - body scrubs, foot scrubs, facial scrubs, foams, gels..blah blah blah...which leads to a lot of $$$.
I hoard cups in our bedroom - all filled with water from the previous nights. The goal is to take the cup the next morning to the kitchen before going to work, but i never do. and now this saturday morning i have 5 cups in my room.
:)
i want to add --> i'm like that little girl from the movie Signs.
Post a Comment