I think I'm ready for the new class that starts Monday. The only thing I don't have is their network logins and the official giving of the e-mail addresses, which I hope to have (need to have) by Tuesday at 8 a.m.
Otherwise, everything's set. The agenda is as set as it's going to be, rooms are reserved for the times I need them, I've had The Talk with the appointed buddies (oh, I still have to do the name drawing for who sits with whom), their desks are assigned, their names are on their phone displays, and all of the buttons on their phones work the way they should. I have the necessary first day materials printed and organized, ready to hand out and go over. I've even already added them to our department phone list, minus the listing of their e-mail addresses pending word from the IT team.
I also gave the "I won't forget about you, we'll still meet once a week but I'll make time before then if I need to" speech to my current reports. I don't want them, especially the 2 newer ones, to feel displaced simply because my schedule is about to become insane. My first group are old hat at my getting another class, but the last 2 have been on their own for just 2 weeks and still have that "oh God!" look about them. It was important that I let them know I wouldn't be abandoning them just because I have a new group coming in. So ... I'll probably be back to working a few hours on Saturdays just to make sure I continue to give my current reports the guidance and interaction they still need.
8 people. That's how many are starting on Monday. 8. That's a lot for a department our size. Sure, we're an international company. But you'd be amazed at how small our call center is for all the work we do. And now I'm all ... is it 8 or 7? Because we put the kibosh on one person before she even started due to some shady footwork she did. Yes, it's 8. Because it was going to be 9. Whew! Had me freaked for a moment that I had 1 too many buddies. But - better to have 1 too many than 1 too few.
My first class had 5 people and I came home exhausted every night. The amount of energy needed to wrangle the energy of that many people every day is astounding. But it was a good exhaustion and I loved the level of interaction that many people created. So I'm looking forward to the challenge of leading 8 through training.
Today Patrick, my best gay Marc, and I are going to my friend & co-worker Tiff's commitment ceremony in Gatlinburg. It's supposed to be 90 degrees by noon. And it's an outside ceremony. At noon. Oy. I'm so going to melt. And my hair ... that heat and the level of humidity that comes with it ... I'll probably just put some anti-frizz crap in it, let it air dry, and hope for the best.
And that's me. That and being positive my ovaries are again misbehaving. I know I'm not supposed to be able to feel them during normal activities and the fact that I can leads me to think we're back into cystland. I'm guessing the threats of "behave or I swear I'll dig you out with a spoon" aren't working.
No comments:
Post a Comment