Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Aging isn't for the faint of heart ...

2 posts in 2 days ... you won't know what to do with yourselves ...

I meant to post about this earlier, but kept forgetting. Which kind of leads me into it ...

In just over 3 months, I'll be 38 years old.

38.

I remember when my mom turned 38 - I was about to turn 11 and she was pregnant with my younger brother.

Odd to think that by the time she was 38, she was on her 3rd marriage, had practically raised 2 kids (my dad's), was raising me (practically by herself), and was pregnant with Jim.

When she was pregnant with Jim, I remember thinking ... gah ... that's old to be having a baby. Because it is old to a not quite 11 year old.

Lately I've been noticing some things about my own aging ...

Sure, there's the usual things you hear about - strained muscles you forgot you had, hormonal changes that make your deodorant buckle under the pressure, scratches that leave scars instead of healing and disappearing like they once did. I have all that.

But my gauge has turned out to be something different.

I noticed that I've started telling stories.

Stories I think of as 'experience' stories. Not *wink*experience*wink* stories, although I do sometimes share those, but the 'some years ago / back when I was x age / this one time in my 20s' sort of stories. I seem to have a lot of them.

I have a serious amount of work experience. Not necessarily a lot of various jobs, but just a lot of work experience. Like - I worked for a non-profit company that worked with the dept of corrections in IL, I worked retail, I've worked at an attny's office, I've done customer service, training, and management.

The attorney's office? One of their clients (well, 3, actually) is a well-known rap group. I earned some cool points at work recently with that story.

But I have them, too - a ton of work related stories.

I can't join in kid related conversations, but I definitely jump into ones about remodeling a home and raising pets. Yard work? Yep, I have stories about it.

I've met some wonderful, and crazy, people along the way. I have stories of friends with odd habits, bad driving, a horrible sense of timing, no tact ... you name it. I can usually connect a friend from my past (and sometimes present) to almost any given situation.

What makes it all really stand out to me is that most of the people I talk to these days are co-workers. Which is probably true for anyone, really. But a good number of mine are in their mid 20s.

They don't have a lot of stories yet.

But I do.

A ton.

Because I'm almost 38.

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

Happy almost 38th birthday to you! Happy almost 38th birthday to you! Happy almost 38th birthday dear friend, happy almost 38th birthday to you! :)

Embrace your experience and tell your stories with pride. You've earned it!

And I like the new background-fun stuff!

Ms. J said...

My husband turned 35 today (Wednesday). I won't be 35 until October. It is startling to me. I am on a biz trip with colleagues from across the state, and some of them are 24, and 25 years old. Yep, I am no longer the Young Star, lol, that I was when I first started out in this line of work.

I like to think I still look semi-good, though ;o)

Anonymous said...

I am in my mid twenties about to head into my late twenties and now that i am somewhat approaching 30 i remember what my grandma would say:

your 30's and 40's are your best because you are sill young enough to enjoy life and reap the expereince and lessons you learned in your teens and 20's. so let's welcome this time!

Anonymous said...

I'm in the same boat at Premier. Almost ALL the kids I work with are in their early to mid 20s.

And yeah. I've become the storyteller. Just like my grandfather. It scared the bejeebies out of me the first time I caught what I was doing. But then it was ok... like it was a piece of him that had found its way down to me now that he's gone.

Anonymous said...

Oh. And I'll be THIRTY NINE this year. How did THAT happen?