Thursday, April 16, 2009

Nope .. no witty ...

The bird nest, you ask?

Why yes, it is now full of teeny tiny, wide mouthed babies.

I noticed the lady bird never left her nest. And I checked on her - leaning over, a few feet from the tree, looking for her beady black eye. Daily, I checked.

Today, no lady bird.

When I ventured closer to get a look inside the nest, wondering if she abandoned her eggs, I was rewarded with the sight of brown, feathery lumps.

A bit later, Patrick and I took another look. As soon as they heard sound, their heads whipped up and their mouths opened.

No sound yet. Just gaping maws waiting for foodstuffs.

I was able to count 4 at first glance.

I'm all excited.

*****

Last night I was thinking about God.

And me.

Me and God.

I've gone over my base belief here before - God doesn't grant / make things happen. He's not the great wish granter in the sky. Things happen and God's there for when they do (good or bad).

Yet despite believing how I've always believed, I still find myself bargaining, asking, sometimes begging, for things to happen, not to happen, work out, etc ...

I wonder why.

It doesn't change things - I still believe what I believe. But it strikes me as odd that I sometimes do it anyway.

Maybe it's like a child asking the parent to be allowed to stay up later - first you nonchalantly mention it, then you make a more direct comment, move on to flat-out asking, and then ... well ... it goes downhill until it's all over but the shouting.

Anyway ... this was what I was thinking about when I dozed off last night.

*****

Work is going well. I have about another month before I've been there 6 months.

And even though I don't expect it to change the outcome, you know I'm trying to bargain with God to put a good word in for a permanent job with them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, our little finch was killed by the neighbor's cat. We didn't notice until it was to late and one of the eggs had fallen out of the nest. We have to throw the other ones out. Sad, Boo, Hiss

Tiff

jaded said...

i feel the same way, that God does not grant or deny, but rather support us if we fall/fail and that he (she?) takes pleasure in our successes. and still i ask...


i miss checking up on you, my friend.