Sunday, March 22, 2009

Bits and pieces ...

Last fall we gave our pussy willow tree to a friend, leaving an area by the deck completely naked. So yesterday I bought some bulbs, gardening tools, and miracle-gro.

I'm hoping we'll have some awesomely beautiful lillies in a few weeks.

The only casualties were my back (who is reminding me that it's never good to garden bent over) and a glove.

Hoss was having a fit to join me (he loves pulling weeds) and by the time I let him out of his kennel, he was hyped up. I didn't realize I'd left the left hand of my new work gloves in the yard, but he did.

The glove and I lost the battle.

Edit: As did the half full bag of left-over miracle-gro this morning.

****************

The neighbors had another party last night, but this time there wasn't any late-night yelling and outdoor loud fun having. A few cars parked on our side street, so there wasn't any need for traffic directing while they tried to get out of the neighbor's drive-way ... and yard. Because they like to park in their yard. Gah.

Anyway ... the changes they made meant a quiet night of no barking for us.

*****************

Although sleeping through the night has become a luxury.

I have issues with my ulnar nerve, mainly with the section that runs down my right arm. It was diagnosed ... gosh ... about 5 years ago when I went to my doctor with some wrist pain.

It's gotten worse over time and is to the point where I have problems almost daily now.

It's also not unusual for me to wake up in pain more than once during the night. It's irritating. And exhausting. And especially hard to remember that, no, you can't sleep with that arm bent anymore.

At least until I wake up in agony, that is.

******************

Speaking of sleeping ....

I was dozing off one night when I started hearing this odd sound. It was kind of sh sound. Over and over.

It took several instances of my hearing it, waking up and not hearing it anymore, dozing off, hearing it ... rinse and repeat .... for me to figure out what it was.

I've apparently started moving my thumbs at night.

And not in that flexing kind of way, but in that rubbing the blanket or pillowcase sort of way.

What I was hearing was the sound of my thumb brushing against the fabric. And since I tend to drift off with my hands near my head, it was right by my ear.

That's just one of those odd things I wanted to throw out there.

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

Yay for the planting of flowers! :) My tulips and crocuses are starting to show up and I am nerdily excited about this.

As for the ulnar pain...Yuck, friend. Is there anything that can be done about this?

The thumbs? Sounds like a comfort thing. My niece and nephews do that with the satin edging on their special blankies when they are going down for a nap. It's soothing, I think. :)

Amanda said...

It's amazing how our dogs can find all of the little things we don't think about. A sock slip under the couch? Don't worry, my Emma will find it and leave it for you in the back yard! Leave a bag of anything anywhere? Emma will shred it and leave the remnant in the back yard for you! Isn't she thoughtful. :-)

I hope your flowers come up beautifully!

jaded said...

hmmm...thumbs? we all have out quirks. what concerns me is the nerve pain. keep an eye on that.

and by the way, sometimes no news is good news...