Patrick and I haven't really talked much more about the IVF outside of the initial "let's look into funding" and "we're going to use your eggs, right?" talk.
Infertility Just Sucks asked about financing (a loan) as fund raising can take a long time. I didn't explain it well in my earlier post. I believe our route will be to finance the treatment and then use the fund raising to help pay it off.
Again - we haven't really discussed it all in detail yet, but I'm kind of working off that assumption.
I'm also keeping in mind that I'll be able to claim a chunk on my taxes next year. With IVF, I'll definitely hit that 7% pay for medical thing. The fund raising will help, for sure, but it's nice to know I'll be able to claim at least 5 grand of it on my taxes if the fund raising doesn't work the way I'm hoping it will.
She also asked about an earlier thought we had - the furniture, box thing. That's still on the table as a possibility. The only downside to that is the time that will be invested. Patrick is very particular about the items he makes and even small things can take some serious time.
Another thing I'm also going to do is see if I can hold raffles at work. We're allowed to bring things in to sell, such as drives that are going on at schools, but we're not allowed to do an office-wide e-mail or anything to announce it. People basically put the order forms and such on a break room table and then leave them there for several days. If you're interested, then you eyeball it and sign up. If not, then you ignore it. That wouldn't exactly work to serve my goals, so I'm going to see if there's another way I can go about it.
Of course, I have to find things to raffle off. The afghan my step-mom is making would be one thing, but maybe this is where t-shirts and sweatshirts come into play as well (thanks for the info on that, too, A. I really don't want to spend my fundraising money on attorneys hah).
And to keep out of copywrite troubles, I'll need something else to put on them. I'm guessing most people won't want to wear a shirt proclaiming IVF donations, but maybe something like "I helped create a life". Or is that too creepy cheesey? I'd need something catchy that people wouldn't mind wearing in public.
Any suggestions?
And, last but not least, I do believe I'm going to put up a donation button or create a donation web site for flat out donations. I know there are others out there, but I'd like more detail on mine - such as an FAQ sort of thing. Some feedback I've read online is very negative about asking for donations for IVF and I think an FAQ might help some. Plus it does help if you put a face to it - make it personal so people feel connected and are more likely to give.
And on that note - I'm off to get ready for work. I'm working the late shift today, so I've had some free time this morning. I even ate breakfast!
2 comments:
What about holding a raffle where someone gets to give you a shot in the arse?! I can't believe how many people have asked if they could give me a shot?! What the heck? Anyway, for money, I would let them do it.
And then your t-shirts could say, "I got to shoot PD is the arse." Well, that's not really poetic! I'll have to do some thinking on ideas for a REAL t-shirt slogan.
I think you should try any and every idea you have. You never know what might pique someone's interest and what might bring the money in. Although I totally second Katie's idea. People *love* that whole shot thing. Ick!
Post a Comment