Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thoughts that needed out ...

Ever have it where not a lot was going on, but a lot kind of was?

So it feels like not a lot is going on, but, there are at least a lot of thoughts ...

*****

I need to lose weight.

This is nothing new, but trying on bridesmaids dresses (like bathing suits) really drives that point home.

My goal isn't anything massive or huge (pardon the pun) in any kind of super quick time frame. I want to lose about 40lbs by next spring.

Doable.

Except for that whole I love food thing. Really. I. love. food. Greasy, fat-filled, creamy, cheesey food. Especially those foods I think of as dippable - fries, wings, chips, etc ... And cream sauces, like alfredo. Or my comfort foods - mac & cheese, fish sticks, mashed potatoes. Holy shit yum.

Those are my downfall.

Luckily (in a way) for me, Patrick is on a lose weight kick right now. I say 'in a way' because he's a head-diver - he dives right on into the restrictions. Fish (ew), raw veggies (where's the ranch?!?), a total lack of snacking (damn you, vending machines!), all mixed with what I consider insane levels of calorie, fat, and protein counting.

But it does motivate me to try and eat a bit better. I usually feel like a big, fat, slob chowing down on my normals while he's eating a plate of grilled salmon and veggies.

So I have yogurt and low-fat snacks that will hopefully still make me feel like I'm not completely cutting things out.

I don't have a 'plan' so much as a generic outline: Slowly switch things up a bit - eat more fruit and less fat.

It sounds easy enough, but that whole less fat thing will be hard. All the truly yummy food has fat in it.

Wish me luck.

*****

Speaking of bridesmaids dresses ...

It's not like the bride and I have been super close with this awesome friendship the whole time. We like each other and have some things in common, but we've never hung out or even called each other just to chit-chat. I mean - we talked about a lot when we got together for lunches, but that was every 3 - 4 weeks.

Which is why I was suprised when she asked me.

But she seems to approach friendships the way I usually do - I only really pursue the ones I feel will work. And as she said - she can see us becoming really good friends. Which I agree with.

We talk more now, have had lunch & dinner a couple of times and didn't mention work once, and we got together last night for a movie. Me, Patrick, her, her fiance, and her dad & his girlfriend. And it was a really good time. We hung out in the parking lot a bit afterwards, just shooting the breeze.

The odd thing, to me at least, is that I haven't had a close female friend in years. YEARS, people. Remember - I am of the fag hag variety. All of my closest friends are gay men.

So this is kind of new territory for me.

*****

The trip to see Peter, Paul, & Mary in August is off. Mary is still suffering affects from her chemo treatments from last year and won't be attending.

Peter and Paul will be there, but not Mary.

I left the decision up to my mom & godmother (meaning: my mom since she usually speaks for all parties included anyway) and it's been decided that we're not going.

So I'll be returning the tickets for a refund and the 3 of us will instead spend a day up in Pigeon Forge, where I will treat them to a fancy lunch.

I'm really disappointed. I've never had a chance to see them live in person and I was beyond excited to be going.

I can only hope and pray that all of us are still around next year and that they decide to put on a few more shows.

*****

My living room is almost done.

It will be soon.

I'll post pictures when the chair rail is up and all of the trim is done.

1 comment:

jaded said...

yay! pictures! please do...

i have been on a healthy kick for several months (shit - almost a year). i am pushing 30lbs lost...i am taking it really easy and just making better choices. but i agree, i LOVE food. i fricking love cheese and anything creamy like sauces, gravies spreads...mmm... i would dip a gawdamn sneaker in cheese so i hear you.